Thursday, August 20, 2015

Canoeing with Kennedy

Demumbers Bay

 So my husband and I decided it was time to take our dog, Jack Russell Terrier/Dachshund mix, Kennedy, canoeing with us. We chose our bay on Lake Barkley, Demumbers, loaded up our gear and headed off.
 Kennedy is always on leash outdoors, as he a hyper breed, easily distracted, and a natural tracker, then add to that he's fast as greased lighting. I simply hooked the leash to a nearby tree and we unloaded our gear, my last task was fitting Kennedy in his life jacket. No problem, things are moving smooth. We had chosen to put in opposite of the ramp and back country camping area, we tend to get out early and didn't want to disturb anyone camping. 

 A chill hung in the early morning air, cool temps had moved in giving respite from the usual Summer heat and humidity. A light fog rose off the water as it was so much warmer than the ambient air. Combined it created great weather to get outdoors and dramatic scenery.

 I picked up Kennedy and got myself seated in the bow with him on my lap, although not fond of water, Kennedy was being very well behaved. My husband took his seat at the stern and I breathed a little sigh of relief as we managed not to tip over during the boarding.
My husband reached back with his oar to push off the bank and with the new center of gravity he leaned just a little to far. The Old Town rocked hard to the left, then again back to the right, I continued to lean right but she rolled again to the left. I watched as the water flowed over the rail, into the bow, and our little family tumbled into the warm waters of Lake Barkley.

 I immediately checked on Kennedy, he was fine, life jacket doing it's job, as he paddled his way back toward the canoe. My husband was also okay, and had managed not to get as wet as I had.  I landed on my knees, the bottom being nice and rocky, I paid no mind. I made my way toward the canoe and the dry bag with my cellphone in it. My husband had forgot to put his phone in a dry bag and left it clipped to his belt. We gathered our gear that had floated out of the canoe then drug it and ourselves back to shore, Kennedy right there with us. 
We immediately began drying off our phones and other items as steam rose from our bodies. Kennedy shook himself off and I could tell he was questioning this whole adventure by this point as were we. Water dripping from our clothes i began to wring myself out when I  noticed my knees were bleeding. Nothing more than a few scrapes and scratches from the rocky bottom.
We debated our next move but my resolve to get back on horse so to say, had us all loading back up in the canoe. Kennedy was a little hesitant but offered no resistance when re boarding. This time we were successful and we paddled away from the shore. We usually stay within 20 yards of shore unless crossing a bay which we weren't ready to try yet with Kennedy.

Kennedy took in all the new sights and sounds as we paddled, huddled close in my lap. I began to feel the chill of the air and was grateful for his warmth. I set him down in the bottom of the bow, his back feet straddling the "v", his front perched upon the rail. He's not very sure footed, like his mom, and with his short stature he struggled so back in my lap he went. I have to say I hadn't realized the depth of the Old Town Sarnac's interior until that trip. 

 We made our way along the shore taking in the beauty and sounds of nature for a while before pulling up on the back shore of the bay to stretch and let Kennedy conduct matters of his own nature.  Standing on shore, still wringing water from my short and shirt, I felt the chill even more. The water had been bathtub warm but the cool air quickly whisked away all traces of any warmth. 
 My husband finished walking Kennedy around and we decided to call it at trip. I wasn't the only one feeling the chill. We once again set off successfully and made our way back to the truck with Kennedy again riding in my lap.  
 After loading the gear, canoe, and dog back up we headed down the worn mostly dirt road back to a gravel road, while my husband drained water from his phone blasting heat from the vents. The only thing that had saved my phone was the dry bag, although some water did get in it was very minimal, so other than my phone the only thing that was dried out was the dog. 
Once home we took the back off the phone and put it in a bowl of rice. I then immediately jumped in the shower washing off all the pieces of decomposed leaves, which was a lot and took some time with my thick head of hair. Everyone, even Kennedy, had his turn in the bath.
Turns out my husbands phone was not ruined and he is still using it. Lesson learned, dry boxes have been purchased and were used on our very next trip which just so happen to be the very same bay.

New dry box!
 Never allow yourself to become complacent and have safe adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment